If you are carving for mee goreng when living outside of Malaysia, here is a quick and easy recipe that you can make it at home within 10 minutes including preparation.
Here are the ingredients that you need:
- 1 pack of instant noodle
- 1 shallot
- 1 glove of garlic
- spring onion (for garnish)
- Chicken fillet / imitation crab stick / fish ball / prawn – this depends of what you have in your fridge
- Dark soy sauce
- Light soy sauce
- Dash of pepper
- Sambal (optional) – I used the one from a jar.
- 1 egg
- Vegetable (choy sum, pak choy, anything that is green but optional)
1. Dice the shallot and garlic, cook your instant noodle according to the instruction from the package without seasoning.
2. Fried the shallot, garlic and sambal until fragrance.
3. Add your protein like chicken, prawn. If you used fish ball or crab stick, then it should be added at last because they can be cook easily.
4. Season it with salt & pepper or with only light soy sauce.
5. Add the cook noodles into the pan and add the dark soy sauce on top of the noodles. Mix them well together with the other ingredients. Make sure all the noodles are coded with the dark soy sauce.
6. Push the noodles to one side of the pan, add a little bit of oil to the other side of the pan to fry an egg.
7. Add the egg to the pan and when the egg is 40-50% done, mix it to the noodles. Then the noodles will be covered with cooked egg.
8. Spoon the cooked noodles to a plate and garnish with the cut spring onion.
Sometimes, I added some choy sum or pak choy into it. You can add any vegetables that is/are available in your fridge. Quick & easy, isn’t that? It is just like the Italian cooking pasta. I can do this blind folded.