三杯鸡 = 3-cups chicken (literally translate), one of the popular Taiwanese dish.
What does the 3 cups means?
3-cups = soy sauce, sesame oil and Chinese cooking wine/rice wine. The selection of this 3 ingredients are important for the delicious taste. Soy sauce must not be too salty or else it will over-power the others. Sesame oil has to be fragrance, rice wine must not be too mild and it must have a good percentage of alcohol. The ratio used from this 3 ingredients must be equal or else they will over-power each other. This means 2 tablespoon of soy sauce, 2 tablespoon of sesame oil and 2 tablespoon of rice wine.
Apart from the 3-cups ingredient, there is 2 more: ginger and garlic.
This recipe is chicken (鸡), you can used others like mushroom, seafood or whatever you can think of, be creative.
Here is how I made my 3-cups chicken.
- Cut the ginger in slices and smash the garlic.
- Heat the oil, add few drops of sesame oil and fry ginger until fragrance.
- Add in the garlic, make sure not to burn it.
- Add in chicken and cook it (turning it if necessary)
- When the chicken is almost done, add in the soy sauce, sesame oil and rice wine.
- Add in shimeji mushroom and sweet pepper (punt paprika) – optional
- Garnish with Chinese coriander – optional