It is very easy to make chicken soup at home. I made it a lot for different purpose.
Here is the basic ingredients:
- Chicken drum-stick (or any chicken part with bone) with skin.
- Spring onion, the white part.
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Oyster sauce
- Chinese cooking wine
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken with Chinese cooking wine, oyster sauce and pepper.
- Roughly cut the shallot.
- Slice the ginger and garlic
- Shredded the spring onion
- Put the cut shallot, ginger, garlic and spring onion into a pan together with the chicken.
- Pour in water, add in some salt.
- Bring the water to boil, season with soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- When the taste is right and chicken is well cook, put in a few drops of sesame oil. Then turn-off the fire.
- Served the soup in a bowl and garnish with the green part of the spring onion.
Sometimes, I added Enokitake (needle mushroom). The same recipe can be use for wonton soup, udon soup, noodle soup. If you’ve a slow cooker at home, use it and it taste even better except it takes longer time.
The secret of this recipe is the chicken bone where it contains the natural glutamate and the skin gives oil, the combination produce that umami taste.